Alumni Conference Coordinator
Location: Almaty, Kazakhstan
Term of Contract: Full time, March- December 2021
The Conference Coordinator plays an essential role in planning and delivering the first regional conference for the alumni of the U.S.-Central Asia Education Foundation (U.S.-CAEF) Enterprise Student Fellowship Program, a scholarship program for citizens of Central Asian countries for business-related undergraduate studies at AUCA, Bishkek, and KIMEP University, Almaty.
The conference will take place in 2021 in Almaty, Kazakhstan. If the COVID-19 pandemic makes it impossible to hold an in-person conference, the event will be held virtually. The three-day conference will bring together 150 U.S.-CAEF alumni and other U.S. government-sponsored alumni from around the Central Asian region to strengthen ties between alumni, U.S. Embassies, and the alumni networks of their respective countries; offer participants new resources and career advice in their professional fields, and facilitate connections between alumni and key business councils and chambers of commerce from their home countries to foster new career opportunities and showcase the achievements of U.S.-CAEF graduates.
The conference is sponsored by the U.S. Department of State and administered by American Councils for International Education.
The position reports to the Regional Director, American Councils, Almaty, and the Program Manager of the U.S. CAEF Program, based in Washington, D.C
- Develop conference content and logistics in coordination with American Councils staff and U.S. Embassies in Central Asia, U.S.-CAEF Alumni Association, and American Councils, Washington, DC staff;
- Plan and implement 4-5 virtual teambuilding/networking pre-conference activities to foster links among participants and ensure continued interest in the conference in collaboration with the U.S.-CAEF Alumni Council and alumni volunteers;
- Organize pre-conference sessions to help alumni shape ideas for panel discussions, and identify panelists willing to share their professional experience, insights, and expertise;
- Identify keynote and other speakers for the conference, including U.S. Embassy personnel, and international and regional business leaders;
- Organize training sessions for alumni mentors and mentees aimed at developing strategies for strengthening relationships between mentors and mentees;
- Coordinate outreach and promotional activities: develop a conference webpage and social media content; involve local business councils, American Chambers of Commerce, and prominent alumni;
- Collect feedback from participants: develop pre-conference and post-conference surveys based on the conference agenda;
- Secure a conference venue, make hotel and travel arrangements for participants and guests, arrange meals, manage the conference room layout, and secure audio-visual equipment (for an in-person conference);
- Monitor and control the conference budget;
- Prepare quarterly project reports;
- Assist with other activities related to U.S.-CAEF alumni, including reporting, alumni awards, promotion on social media, and activity coordination.
Skills and Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in a business-related field;
- Familiarity with the business environment in Central Asia;
- Excellent strategic planning, management, logistics, and teambuilding skills;
- Demonstrated creativity and partnership building skills;
- Experience with meeting and event management;
- Minimum of 3 years work experience in project and grant management;
- Experience with social media and familiarity with virtual conference platforms;
- Ability to work independently, take initiative, and collaborate with other members of the team;
- Ability to grasp new concepts, flexibility, and eagerness to learn on the job;
- Outstanding oral and written communication skills in English and Russian languages;
- Outstanding interpersonal skills, a friendly demeanor, and a can-do attitude.
To apply, please send your resume and a cover letter summarizing your interest and qualifications by 10 a.m. (Nur-Sultan time) on February 15, 2021, to email@example.com. Resumes will be considered on a rolling basis until the position is filled. Only finalists for the position will be contacted.